Friday, March 9, 2012

Enchiladas!

I know, I know...I'm not off to a good start when it comes to keeping up with the blog.  I promise, I'll get better!!

In my first post I promised a recipe for enchiladas - healthier enchiladas, that is.

The problem with enchiladas is that the tortillas are usually fried and they are typically stuffed with a ton of cheese and greasy meat.  Not that I don't love the highly caloric gooey mess, but there has got to be a better way to take enjoy a tasty meal without clogging our articles.

So without further ado, here is my step-by-step to yummy, mostly healthy enchiladas!!

First, we need some ingredients!

Tortillas - Whether you like flour or corn (I like flour), it's super important that they be FRESH.  I always buy mine freshly baked at Central Market.  If I'm not using them that day, I put them in the freezer and they're still just as delicious for up to a week, longer if you're lucky.

Veggies - I like zucchini, red onion (however I'm converting to shallots!) and red bell pepper

Cheese - experiment!  This time, I used Monterrey Jack with salsa mixed in.

Beef - Matt likes beef.  So I make it for him.

Tomato sauce - it's important to get the right kind.  My favorite one is the Central Market Organics line, but we bought a different kind (organic) at Costco and it's almost as good.  One time we used a cheap grocery store brand and we both thought it was yucky.  So don't buy the cheap stuff just to save 20 cents.



First, brown the meat.  I didn't take a picture of this step.

While the meat is browning, chop the veggies.  I find that smaller is better.



Then, set the meat aside and it's time to start the sauce.

For my sauce, I use cumin...LOTS of cumin.  It's my favorite spice EVER when I cook Mexican food. Cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, and black pepper.

If I'm just making veggie, I start by heating up a little bit of olive oil, and then dumping the spices in.  When I make beef for Matt, I use the left over fat from the beef.  Letting the spices brown a bit before you add the tomato sauce brings out the flavor more than if you just mix it in with the tomato sauce.


Then in a tad of olive oil, lightly sauté the veggies.  I add a little more cumin and a pinch of salt, and I really only sauté them for two to three minutes.  I like them to still have a little crunch.




Add the tomato sauce, and stir occasionally until perfect!  Sample and add spices as you see fit.



Shred the cheese!!



As soon as the sauce is ready, spread a little bit in the bottom of the pan that you're using and start assembling the enchiladas.  Scoop beef or veggies into the tortilla, spread a little sauce, and then sprinkle with a little cheese.


When you roll the tortillas and put them in the pan, make sure you put the "seam" on the bottom of the pan.  It seems obvious, but it's easy to forget the first time.

Once you have all your enchiladas lined up, smother the rest of the sauce all over it and sprinkle the cheese on top.


Pop it in the oven at 375 for about 15-20 minutes and enjoy!!


We love the recipe and make it at least twice a month...sometimes more!

I also like to make a tomatillo sauce, but Matt doesn't like that as much, so I usually do the red sauce.

If you want to try the tomatillo sauce, all you need are: tomatillos (2-3), onion, and a pepper with the heat factor of your choice.  Blend it all up in the blender and then heat in the pan with some salt, pepper, lime juice, and of course, cumin.

Enjoy making something yummy for dinner!

2 comments:

  1. I just tried your recipe (mas o menos) and it was awesome! We were out of ground beef but had some boneless chicken thighs so we cooked and shredded it with the same spices. I also combined the zucchini and bell peppers with the chicken. Just like you said... Light and satisfying!

    ReplyDelete