Sunday, January 29, 2012

Our Gassy Mistake

This weekend I was craving a chile relleno.

I may be converting to crunchy, but I'm still a Texan and I will ALWAYS love Tex-Mex.  Greasy, cheesy, spicy, artery clogging Tex-Mex.  So we try not to eat it often, and I even try to choose somewhat healthier options or else I cook it myself at home so I know exactly what I'm consuming and have more control over what I put in my body, but it's just....I could taste the chile relleno in my mouth.

Cheesy, spicy, with that slightly crunchy fried batter on the outside.  MMmmm...

I knew I should have had a salad or even some veggie enchiladas, but I just really, really, really wanted a chile relleno.

So we gave in to the craving and went to On The Border.  I haven't eaten at On The Border in YEARS.  Since I started slowly converting to a healthier lifestyle, my husband and I have been giving up most chain restaurants (however I just cannot convince him that Chili's is gross, no matter how many times we leave there feeling miserable).

The first sign that we were in the wrong place was the massive throngs of teenagers.  I hold nothing against teenagers since I used to be one and currently I'm the math teacher for approximately 130 of them, but in general teenagers are not known for having a refined taste in food, fashion, or....anything, really.

Just as I avoid wearing the same fashions sported by my students (they're horrid, really), I also avoid eating at the same places.  No self-respecting adult should be wearing Aeropostale.

But the craving for the chile relleno was so strong, not even noisy teenagers in short skirts wearing too much make up could convince me to go anywhere else.

My husband ate beef and cheese enchiladas...3 of them.  I ate half a chicken enchilada, a cheese chile relleno stuffed with more monterrey jack cheese than any one human should ever consume, and a little guacamole tostada.  I don't even want to think about how many grams of fat or calories must have been on that plate, but my pregnant hormones told me it would be okay.

It wasn't.

Not only did I feel as though a nuclear war was battling inside my intestines, but I could smell the war inside my husband's.

All

night.

long.

I don't know why we continue to do this to ourselves.  We know how to eat healthy...we like to eat healthy...we insist that we are on a mission to be healthy, and yet we continue to sabotage ourselves all because of cravings or convenience.

We walk away feeling bloated, gassy, gross, and fat and swear we'll never do it again, and then a week or two later, we find ourselves in the same position all over again.

Filling up the car with some serious gas, and not the petrol kind.

Next time I crave a chile relleno, I'll just make my own.  Stuffed with veggies and a reasonable amount of cheese (because really, who doesn't love cheese?), baked in the oven, not fried.

My husband even said that the enchiladas I make at home are better than the ones at On The Border, because I "use better ingredients."  I felt so encouraged by his compliment!

So to help my readers avoid a potentially hazardous gassy situation, I'm going to post my healthier enchilada recipe later this week.

I make enchiladas one of two ways - with a red sauce or with a green tomatillo sauce.  My husband prefers red, and I prefer green.  I make everything from scratch except the tortillas, but even those I buy freshly made from Central Market (or the local Mexican shop).  I usually use beef for him and veggies for me, and we NEVER leave the table feeling heavy or gassy.  We usually feel full, satisfied, and fresh.

So get ready!  Coming later this week is my super-yummy and super-easy enchilada recipe.  So easy anybody could make them, and so delicious anybody would eat them.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment