Sunday, January 22, 2012

First Post!

Welcome to our blog!

We're the Tiptons!

You may have previously followed me (the wifey) on BrunerAbroad.blogspot.com

But then I got married.

After I got married, I became a teacher.  Therefore, I became uber-busy.  I'm still uber-busy, but I miss blogging.  I didn't feel right blogging on BrunerAbroad because I'm not longer Bruner and I no longer live abroad (but hopefully not for long!).

So I finally decided to start a new blog with my new name, and the occasional input from my hubby.

You may be asking yourself, "Why are they converting to crunchy?  What's 'crunchy'?"

Well, we are slowly but surely converting to a more natural (i.e. "crunchy") lifestyle.  I've been following the blogs of some ladies far more crunchy than myself and learning from their wealth of wisdom.  I've started making my own laundry detergent, household cleaners, face/body soap, etc.  I try to buy mostly organic produce and all-natural animal products.

I also stopped using medication as much as possible.  I used to be at risk for diabetes.  The endocrinologist put me on diabetes medication when I was 19 and told me I would be on it for the rest of my life, weather I got diabetes or not.  The damage to my body was already done and the medicine (combined with weight loss) would keep the diabetes at bay.

After 7 years, I had lost approximately 85 pounds, ran 3 half-marathons, learned to tolerate and then even enjoy salad, and got my blood levels under control.  After some lab-work my doctor told me that it was up to me if I wanted to stay on the medicine or not.  I chose not.

So we're working towards a natural, non-medicated, chemical free lifestyle.  It's not always convenient and my husband doesn't always like it (and sometimes I just crave Chik-Fil-A!) but we're making healthy, natural living our goal.  We'll probably blog about that a lot.  Recipes for food, soap, laundry detergent, and all things natural can be expected on this blog.

My husband is in seminary working on a seemingly never-ending Master of Divinity (I was too, but then I started teaching this year).  So we'll probably post about seminary life, church, and what God is teaching us lately.  Which is a lot.

And I'm pregnant!

Yup.  Married 6 months...5 months pregnant...you do the math.

Our first baby is due June 14th, 2012.  Gender to be confirmed this week.

My goal is a natural, unmedicated hospital birth.  My doctor is a D.O. and super supportive.  True Crunchy ladies might scoff at me for having a doctor and not a midwife, and going to a hospital instead of a birthing center, but I love my doctor so much that I just can't hold it against her.

So don't be surprised if I post about a lot of icky pregnancy and birth stuff.  :)  Maybe I shouldn't say "icky" because it is a natural process, ordained by God, but let's be honest - it's icky.  Beautiful in a "wow I can't believe that just happened" sort of way, but still icky.

And since I'm a teacher, I'll probably make carefully worded comments about the education system.  But nothing too edgy, since I'd like to keep my job.  Maybe I'll mostly stick to funny stories about my students and the absolutely ridiculous things they say and do.

We're glad you stopped by our blog, and we hope you find it fun, educational, inspiring, enjoyable, thought provoking and occasionally a tad bit uncomfortable.

Thanks!

The Tiptons

5 comments:

  1. Yay! I can't wait to see what you post. We have been on the crunchy journey for almost three years now.

    Are you taking Bradley classes? I so recommend them! They are the only reason Josh & I were able to handle a pain-med free birth... on pitocin! Yeouch! Excited for you. :) We should chat soon - for reals!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coincidentally, I just checked BrunerAbroad earlier today (from an old link I ran across) and saw that it had been "abandoned". Good to see you're back in the blogging business!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ray! I think about you every time I grind coffee...which is every day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just added your blog to my reader list. :-) I too am on a journey to natural and my husband doesn't always like it either haha. But it is good so he mostly supports it. I can't get him to let go of Dr. Pepper though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura!

    Look at you! Beautiful!

    Excited for all that is going on in your life. This made me happy to read!

    ReplyDelete